There's still a beautiful hunk of Americana where they dream of long road trips through the valleys, resting up at roadside attractions before finding a hotel along the hillside where they'll wake up in the morning to panoramic mountain views.
Those road signs and restaurant signs and vacancy signs are lit with timeless, iconic neon lights.
But like how those roads are now highways and those hotels are now all enterprise chains, those iconic neon signs have been getting an upgrade. This means those neon signs are getting removed and replaced for safer alternatives.
Not all the signs are dangerous. Many of them are safe. However, there are several out there that contain mercury / mercury vapor in them. If inhaled or ingested, it can be hazardous. This ingestion could come from the liquid, or if the light is cracked and the vapors seep out for a prolonged period of time.
In short, it's best to have a trained professional take a look and remove that sign for you.
Mercury poisoning is no joking matter. Ask the Mad Hatter.
Most clients, when they remove and upgrade their Neon signs, switch to LED signs. In fact, there are some great designs and technology out there to make LED signs look and act like Neon signs. Admittedly, nothing shines like a true neon sign, but LED comes close. And they're legendary for their carbon footprint-reducing efficiency.
Absolutely. So long as you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you don't have mercury in your signage. The EPA mercury in neon signs as hazardous waste.
We do. We remove Neon signs from many types of professional environments. Typically, we bundle the cost into replacing the sign with an LED alternative, but it's not necessary.